Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Time for Change? Perhaps Overdue.

On a personal level, one of the results of last summer's Disengagement, and this summer's war was a feeling of apathy towards the news and current events. Pre-aliya Yosef was all about the News. I would check teletext during every commercial break to see if anything had happened in the world and would follow news stories like a hawk. Now, I check the news on a daily basis, and reserve comment for the issues I really do care about.

This morning I got up and as per usual, put on Channel 10's morning show to catch the pre-7am view of the world, and the news tickers were rolling. Dan Halutz, Chief of Staff of the IDF during the Second Lebanon War, has resigned.

I don't know all the ins and outs, perhaps no one ever will, but Olmert had been advocating for Haltuz to remain in his role.

Living in a society that changes their government more often than most cars require an MOT, it is with reserved optimism that I feel change could be round the corner. Let's give it a week until Halutz is out of his position and has the chance to tell his side of the story. I am not calling for another round of finger pointing and blame shifting, but the chance to vote for a Prime Minister who isn't under criminal investigation and has support of the citizens of Israel is an opportunity I wouldn't pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment