Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Normal?

Life continues as normal, working in Lod, planning summer with friends here and abroad, and the mid week confusion whether to host or go to friends for Shabbat meals got thrown into the air when I realised four other people are counting on me for meals this weekend. Sometimes the open door policy gets hectic when I don't write down who's coming when!

As normal as life is right now, I did have my first glimpse of "the war" last night. My Mum's neighbour is hosting a family of 8 in his 2.5 room apartment. His guests are his brothers family from the north whose house was hit by a katushya. They fled south to Jerusalem with one bag and are spending their day glued to the television desperate to find out what will be. If anyone in the Baka neighbourhood has any toys suitable for 6, 9 and 12 year old children, drop me an email and I would be happy to pass them on. Two days after loosing their home, life is far from normal for them, and from a personal point of view, it bought this conflict to a new level. Hopefully the safety of the centre of the country will give them the chance they need to rebuild.

Some are anxious, others are calmer. I find it useful not to be glued to the news. I check every few hours, much less than I used to, and keep focused on the day to day. Some may argue that this technique is denial, but I imagine it's healthier than the constant worry every time you hear an irregular bump in the night.

Wait and see seems to be the game to play. What else is there to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment